Thursday, July 7, 2011

Behold, the Power of Shoes

Unless, like Paul Simon, you are a rock, you are an island, you come into contact with people on a fairly regular basis.  And even Simon had Garfunkel for awhile.  Speaking of, I’m sure that song made Garfunkel feel just peachy about himself. “I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.” Oh Artie, you had to have known this breakup was eminent...  I had a point. 

Oh yes, no (wo)man is an island and for right or for wrong the way we dress may attract or repel attention.

I can’t be the only person that uses that to my advantage?

If you read my first blog entry you’ll notice that I’m fond of Camilla Skovgaard shoes.  I love them.  Some of her designs are way out there but some of the more simple pumps have just that slight touch of bad girl in them that appeal to me.  Every time I wear the bright pink coral saw pumps I get stopped.  Women want to talk about them.  And I love talking about shoes.

But I also realized I could use this to my advantage.

When I had to work at a bridal show I decide to dress like a peacock.  Well, figuratively mind you.  I pulled on the Camilla Skovgaards; I figured, if nothing else, I’d get people to my booth to ask about my shoes and once they were there and talking to me I’d steer the conversation straight to the product I was there to sell.  And it worked.


Yeah, you know you wanna approach the gal with the crazy shoes.

The best part of my day was when a well known baker came by our booth and told me in an appreciative tone, "You have serious balls for wearing those shoes all day."  Written down, it doesn't translate well, but trust me, tone matters!

Of course there is a corollary.  When I’m in a bad mood I try to dress so as NOT to garner attention.  I can’t recall why, but I remember a day getting progressively worse.  While in line at a Subway a perfectly nice woman complimented my outfit.  I responded in kind but not with my usual enthusiasm.  The minute I got home I changed into blue jeans and ancient doc martens oxfords with the comfort soles.  I simply wasn’t up for strangers that day and I wanted to blend in rather than stand out.

Bonsai does 90s angst like a champion.

Very seldom have I ever found myself wearing shoes for male attention.  And contrary to popular male belief an appreciation of shoes amongst women is NOT a competition (well maybe it is for some, we're not a monolithic group, I can't speak for us all).  It's just something pretty to enjoy; sometimes pleasures truly are simple with no ulterior motive.

That said, if you see that bitch walk by in the Navy Blue Patent Leather Campy Mary Janes, you knock her down, I'll steal her shoes and we both run.  We'll rendezvous at Starbucks.  No, not that one, the other one.  No, the one closer to my house.  There's one on that street?  No, the one near the book store.  You know what, I'll just see you later.  Don't get caught!

Oh navy blue Manolos, the things I would do for you (except, you know, spend $645)...
So what about you?  Are you a peacock that uses your clothing and accessories as a walking billboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment